Essential Tax Forms & Documentation For Your Tax Appointment

Income Tax Forms 

There are many different types of income tax forms, depending on the type of income you’ve received, and most people receive more than one kind of income throughout the year. Here are some of the most common income tax forms our clients receive. Please bring whatever forms are applicable to you: 

W-2 – You will receive this form if you are a registered employee of a business. This form shows your annual wages and the amounts you have had withheld from your checks throughout the year. 

1099-MISC – You will receive this form if you are an independent contractor or self-employed. You should receive one of these from every client who has paid you $600 or more during the year. 

1099-DIV – You should receive this form if you have received any dividends or other distributions from your investments over the last year. 

1099-INT – You will receive this form if you have collected any interest over the course of the year. At the very least, you will likely receive one of these from your financial institution to report the interest you’ve earned from your savings account. 

K-1 – You will receive this form if you are a shareholder in a trust, S corporation, or partnership. 

If you received any of these income tax forms, please bring them with you. You should also bring documentation for any other sources of income you’ve received throughout the year. 

Sale of Stocks 

Please bring any information and documentation you have pertaining to any stocks you’ve sold in the last year—particularly the purchase date and the purchase price. 

Sale or Purchase of Home 

If you’ve purchased or sold a home in the last year, please bring the settlement statements for the sale when you meet with your tax accountant in Provo. 

Income and Expenses for Rental Units 

If you own any rental properties, you will need to provide detailed documentation for the rents you’ve received, as well as a list of any expenses you’ve paid on the unit. Expenses can include the mortgage for the unit, property taxes, repairs costs, cost of advertising the unit, and so on. 

Proof of Medical Expenses 

If you’ve had very high medical expenses in the last year (more than 10% of your income), please bring documentation for those expenses to your tax interview. Note that medical expenses that have been reimbursed by your insurance company do not qualify. 

Proof of Charitable Contributions 

If you have donated cash or items to charity in the last year, please bring documentation to support these contributions. Your donations of both money and items should be itemized and include the date the donation was made, as well as the value of the item donated. Please note that only donations to certified non-profits qualify as a charitable contribution. 

Mortgage Interest and Taxes 

All homeowners will receive a 1098 form showing the mortgage interest and property taxes that you have paid over the last year. Please bring this to your tax interview. 

Tuition and Education Costs 

Students should receive a 1098-T tax form, documenting the amount paid in tuition over the last year. Please bring this with you, along with a detailed list of what you paid for books, lab fees, and any other expenses related to your schooling. 

Proof of Health Insurance 

You will need to provide proof of health insurance coverage for yourself and your dependents when filing your taxes. If you have employer-provided health insurance, your employer should provide you with the proper forms. If you have healthcare through the Obamacare marketplace, you will receive a 1095-A. 

SSNs & DOBs 

Please be sure to have the Social Security number and date of birth on hand for yourself and all of your dependents. This is especially important for any new dependents you may have, such as a new child or spouse. 

Last Year’s Return 

If you are a new client to The Accounting Guys, please bring a copy of last year’s tax return when you meet with one of our CPAs in Provo. 

Other Documents 

If you have any other documents that you feel are relevant to your return, but are not listed above, please bring it with you. It is always better to have extra documents than to find yourself without a necessary document during your tax interview.

Back to blog