How & Why You Should Update Your Address With The IRS

While it’s true that the IRS will get your new address when you file your next return, any tax-related communications between now and then will be sent to your previous address; and when the IRS sends you a letter, it’s usually something you want to ensure you receive. This includes any pending tax refunds, which could be delayed if the IRS does not have your correct address. 

In some cases, the IRS will send you another form of correspondence that requires a prompt reply. When they mail this correspondence to the address they have on file for you, they have fulfilled their legal obligation to notify you of the issue, whatever it may be. It doesn’t matter if you did not receive the correspondence because the address is incorrect; any repercussions that arise from your lack of response are still your responsibility. 

This is why it is so important to notify the IRS as soon as you possibly can, and update the address that they have on record for you. 

How to Update Your Address 

You can update your address with the IRS by filling out and submitting IRS Form 8822. This form must be submitted via mail, and the second page of the form provides the correct mailing address based on the state your old address was located in. Please be sure you submit your form to the proper division of the IRS. 

If this change affects any of your children who file their own income tax returns, you will need to complete and submit a separate form for each child. However, the form can be used for both you and your spouse; if you’re still living together, you will simply need to sign the same form. If you’ve established separate residences, however, you will need to submit separate forms. 

You may also submit a written and signed statement to the IRS, which includes your name, previous address, new address, and SSN, ITIN, or EIN. Mail this statement to the same place where you mailed the last tax return that you filed. 

One final option is to provide oral notification in person or over the telephone. They will need to verify your identity, so please ensure you can provide your full name, address, date of birth, and SSN, ITIN, or EIN when asked for it. 

If you have any questions or need any help with updating your address with IRS, please contact our Provo accounting firm for assistance.

Back to blog